5 Things I Do Each Day...
Update: I just found out that this 5 things for mental health idea originally came from Mindapples. You can read others 5 things posts there.
My friend Liz recently challenged me to post about the 5 things I do each day to keep my mind healthy.
Everyone take a deep breath. Grab something you love to drink. Read this when you have a few moments - 'tis a tad lengthy. Someday, someone might ask YOU what you do daily to maintain your mental health. Ponder that for a moment.
To be fair - this list is a snapshot of the things I do regularly to live in good health. I am and always have been one to switch things up, challenge predictability, and go with the flow. So, I shall list the mundane and lofty things I do most often on a daily basis. Because of course, my mental health is of great import to me - and others too.
1. Love up the critters. Cecil (All black, Alpha - even over the dog), Breelan (gray and white), Malachi (big, black and white), and Zeke (dog). Every day we have serious love sessions, both individually and as a family. Nothing like that for mental health.
2. Laugh. TOIL (T.he O.ne I. L.ove - my husband, he picked the acronym) is always doing something to get me to laugh (like pick ridiculous acronym's to describe himself). It's one of our "things". If I am not laughing, something is SERIOUSLY wrong.
3. Pray. People pray in different ways. I do too. Every morning I pray with water to nourish my body, the earth and her people. I sing prayer songs throughout my day out loud and in my head. Often, I pray when I am walking, exercising, thinking, dreaming. However it manifests - prayer is critical to my mental health.
4. Be creative. I love to do crafty things which includes but is not limited to; photography, quilting, knitting, designing, making pesto, making drums with my husband, sewing all manner of things, writing stories, collecting stories, collecting rocks on walks, making jewelry, painting and on and on... I challenge myself to learn new crafts and attempt new projects regularly. No doubt, I will share a goodly portion of them here as they occur.
5. Connect with someone I love and that loves me too. This includes,on a daily basis TOIL. That may seem to be obvious, but I am willing to state the obvious here. Love, twroo luv takes daily effort. That is good for my whole picture of health. I also make a point to talk with my Mom on a nearly daily basis. She helps me process life, keep my perspective and challenges me to be all that I can be. Other family and friends are critical to my health as well. I am blessed to be surrounded by amazing people. Thank you all.Here are some of the other things I do - these are all critical too. I never was good at coloring within the lines. Or keeping a list to 5 things when in actuality, list is soooo much longer than that.




4 comments:
Thea, it is so interesting to read how similar and also how very different our lives are. Thanks for playing along. I like your list better.
Awesome list of 5! Great post
This blog prompted me to truly reflect on my daily routines. My initial reaction was, "really? 5 things!... Healthy things at that." It did not take long at all to come up with my own list of things I do that allow my mental wellness to thrive.
First off, exercise. When I am galloping on the treadmill completely zoned out, I am able to saturate my mental being in freedom. My stress seeps out of my pores and is left in that dingy gym. When I run, that is my time. I am able to process everything in the present and devise a few ways to enhance the future. When I step outside after my exercise regimen, I feel like I am able to take on the stressors in my life.
Secondly, I usually exercise my windpipe and lungs at least ten to twenty times throughout the course of the day. I achieve this by singing to country music (which triggers positive feelings from my childhood). In addition, the fresh air on my face and the sun in my eyes attributes positivity to these exercises.
Laughter is definitely healing in itself. I try to laugh in situations that are unnecessarily tense or hostile. My husband can be credited as prompting uncontrollable fits of laughter, and for that I am forever grateful.
Treating myself to Starbucks is a little ritual that I have been practicing for a while. I set rules upon the consumption of my favorite beverage. Until my straw has completely sucked my cup dry, everything is alright in the world. I am not allowed to think negatively or stress about anything.
Knowledge is empowering, and it is a crucial part of my daily living. I strive to learn at least one relatively important fact of knowledge. When I am in that learning mode, I am able to step outside of myself and gather insight on larger issues.
These are the things I do to uplift my mental state on a daily basis.
--Written by Emily Benton (Gemma's daughter in law)
Emily - First and foremost, nice to "meet" you and thanks for stopping by here. I love your coffee consumption rules and singing at the top of your lungs to music that makes you feel good.
Aren't we lucky women to have husbands that can and do make us laugh?
Post a Comment