Singing in the New Year
In a few short hours, I will be on my way to a New Year's Eve pow-wow where TOIL and I will gather with friends and family to drum and sing in the New Year. I truly love spending my New Year's Eve this way. Kids and adults alike will greet 2009 connected to their heritage, dancing and singing.
Years ago I started a New Year's tradition of focusing on something I would like to learn more about and incorporating it throughout the year. Sometimes it's something I swore I would never like (a.k.a. country music - that was called my "learning to appreciate Country Music" year. It was somewhat painful. I also had a "learning to appreciate pink" year. It was revolutionary. I was wearing hot pink pants when TOIL and I decided to date) or simply something I want to know more about, but haven't yet had the opportunity (like Italy). This year of (fill in the blank) is pretty easy to incorporate into my life. It's just a matter of keeping the annual focus in the forefront of my consciousness throughout the year. Simple right?
It works like this: I decide what my annual exploration will be about and then throughout the year, I explore it. How's that for obvious! One year I chose Italy, so during the year I read books about Italy, not exclusively mind you, just every now and then. I listened to Italian composers and explored Italian food and art. It's a fun, yet no pressure, incorporate as you can but leave any potential guilty feelings at the door, kind of a deal.
This year, it's Mexico and this year will be different. In addition to exploring the culture, art, history, food and music of Mexico, we will have an immersion experience! More to come on that story soon.
Thanks 2008. Here's to 2009. What do you do to celebrate the change of the year?



0 comments:
Post a Comment