Unique, Eco-Friendly, Sustainable Holiday Gift Ideas
For many years now, I have made a good portion of my Holiday gifts. It's kind of become a thing for my family and my preferred way to stress myself out for the holidays. I have historically chosen to create things I have NO EXPERIENCE with. Like creating 7 lap quilts when I have never even conceive of such a thing, or weaving scarves on a lap loom, or knitting something having never before held knitting needles in my hands. Call me crazy. I call it fun.
I am not giving away any clues about this years project. Except to say that it's secret and simple and DONE!
However, because I love giving gifts, and some people have recently asked me for ideas, I thought I would share Thea's Top 7 List of Unique, Eco-Friendly, Sustainable Holiday Gift Ideas for the Whole Family.
1. Adopt an Endangered Species at Defenders of Wildlife or World Wild Life Fund. Your donation goes to research, education and rehabilitation for animals of the Planet. You can "adopt" in the name of the person you are gifting to and receive an Adoption Certification and sometimes even a stuffed animal to give.
2. Give a Micro-Loan at Kiva. Micro-Loans are small dollar investments that create a big benefit. You can communicate with your borrower in many cases and see the real impact your loan is having.
3. Give a Cow (Not 'Have a Cow' - that's different) at Heifer International. You can give Chickens, Goats, Llama, etc. if you have a thing about Cows. Entire families and communities are changed when they have a food and income source all tied up into one donated critter.
4. Give Handmade. Not everyone has the time or inkling to hand make gifts, but don't let that stop you. There are LOTS and LOTS of amazing, one of a kind, gifts at Etsy. If you have yet to visit, please, just go.
5. Give the Gift of Fair Trade Art. Fair trade arts and crafts assure good working conditions and a living wage for the artisans. Fair Trade goods are available in many places, check out Fair Trade Federation and Bead For Life for a good start down the path of Fair Trade.
6. Give a Pollution Solutions Holiday Gift Bag from Environmental Working Group. Includes things such as glass storage containers and steel water bottles and tips on how to Green up your life all packaged in a reusable shopping tote. Chic.
7. Give a gift purchased at a local Holiday Market. They are springing up everywhere and are chalk full of handmade gift options. Check your local listing and get out for a little local Holiday Cheer.
*It's probably important to say that these Businesses and Organizations have no idea that I have a list like this, nor do they have a clue that they are on it. Oh, and to be very clear, I get nothing, nada, zilch, zip for mentioning them here on my blog except that inner warmth that comes along with doing something good for the world.



0 comments:
Post a Comment