Wednesday, December 17, 2008

FDA Flip Flops

The news is breaking everywhere, but I originally heard the story from the Environmental Working Group feed.

The FDA is working to get the current administration to approve a reversal of the 2004 EPA & FDA Advisory regarding fish consumption for Pregnant and Lactating Women and Young Children. The 2004 advisory states that Mercury is a neuro-toxin and can cause medical issues for humans. Now, the FDA suggests that the benefit of eating fish far outweighs any potential risk of consuming the neuro-toxin, Mercury.

You can read the Washington Post article by Lyndsey Layton here (please note you must have a free account with WP in order to read the article). Here is what EWG Senior Analyst Sonya Lunder thinks about the matter.

It's becoming increasingly more challenging to discern fact from fiction, especially when it comes to the chemicals we use on this planet and the effect they have on our bodies and ecology in general. I tend to use my own critical thinking process about things like this, starting with a series of questions. Does eating a high quantity of Mercury laden fish sound like a good idea? Are there other ways to obtain the nutritional benefit without increasing my consumption of Mercury? Do I trust others that have unknown interests (to me) to make decisions for me? What does it mean to make a public health advisory and then change your mind about your recommendation? Where does the cash (profit) flow point to? Who benefits from the recommendation? Who's best interest are being considered?

All that said, I will simply state that personally, I am more careful now than ever before to monitor the amount of mercury I take into my body. I will also confess to you that I am in the process of chelating Mercury out of my body. Would you consider me crazy if I just starting emphatically yelling out, "Don't do it. No matter what 'they' say. Please eat fish containing high levels of Mercury in moderation." Well it isn't my business what you choose to put in your mouth. However, wouldn't be nice in today's age of technology and science, to make those decisions armed with the facts, just the facts?

What do you think?

Should you want to read more here are some links for you:
Here is an extensive list of fish and their associated mercury levels courtsey of the USDHHS and EPA.
Here is a link to a mercury calculator which is a handy way to track your own intake.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Your voice here:

Mitakuye Oyasin

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP